Speaking at the Strictly press day, the GMB presenter told the Daily Star Online: “I don’t know whether Piers would want to do the show! I keep looking at him and saying, ‘Maybe next year!’”
“Piers is very excited. He keeps calling me Twinkletoes.”
Charlotte added: “He sent me a message this morning saying, ‘We’re going to have fun with this,’ which sounded more like a threat than being supportive.
“But he’s thrilled, and I’m going to have to get all of the team at Good Morning Britain to come along.”
Piers, alongside Charlotte, would be following in a long line of GMB presenters who have taken part in the BBC’s dancing competition, with Kate Garraway, Richard Arnold and Susanna Reid all having danced their way through their Saturday nights.
Charlotte, 42, said of her veteran co-hosts: “The nice thing is Susanna and Kate and Richard, they’ve been brilliant before so it’s great to have them and their advice. They’re like: It’s an amazing experience and you just throw yourself into it.
“When I was offered Strictly, I literally jumped at the chance, it was a no-brainer for me completely.
“It’s only after when people are like it’s really full-on, it’s going to be scary, that you’re like ‘God, yeah it is!’ You didn’t even give it a second thought. You just say yes.”
And mum-of-one Charlotte is already one of the favourites to be seize the Glitterball trophy, following in the footsteps of last year’s winner, Ore Odube.
“Yeah but they haven’t seen us dance, have they?” she laughed off her odds. “I don’t know how they work out the odds because they haven’t seen us dance.”
But Charlotte did manage to give early-morning viewers a little preview of her dancing skills, throwing some shapes with Richard Arnold when she was announced to be appearing on the new series.
“I managed to do a twirl without falling over. Richard did a little spin around and I thought, ‘This will be the moment when I trip over and break my leg before it’s even started’.”
Strictly Come Dancing launches on Saturday, 9th September on BBC1 at 7pm.